Starting novel and switching characters
(New Orleans )
Question: I have begun writing a novel but sometimes i get lost. It is about a woman who has left a abusive man for another man who she marries, of course after all the drama. I need help with starting and finishing chapters and switching characters.Answer:
* Make sure each scene is an event -- an irreversible change that sends the story in a new direction.
* Give each event a structure, such as...
1. Setup (potential for trouble)
2. Complication (conflict)
3. Crisis (turning point, decisive change)
4. Resolution (new direction)
* End each chapter with the reader wondering what will happen next.
* Switch characters only at chapter breaks. Never confuse the reader as to whose head they are in.
Best of luck.